Monday, December 19, 2011

Playing Politics

Hello and Happy Holidays :)

I know I haven't posted a cartoon in a while. The thing is, not many have popped into my mind. As this is just sort of a fun thing for me (though I take the statements I make seriously) I'd rather post a few fun things that I really want to share than weekly updates. I feel like if I were to do the latter, the toons I'm really proud of would get bogged down. :p but hey, I could be wrong.

This weeks post, though, is an expression of a small, growing frustration I'm having; the politics game.  For the past few months I have been watching Power and Politics on CBC somewhat regularily (not religiously :p). Whether or not you enjoy/endorse the show I'll leave up to you but I find it helpful to get a overview of what noises are being made in the House over the week.

The thing that is driving me mad is the fact that when Solomon brings reps from different parties on the show to discuss/debate an issue--THEY DON'T LET EACH OTHER FINISH. 

People may say oh well that's politics or you shouldn't expect any less or that I'm an idealist. But damnit, we have multiple parties for a reason, and it wasn't so that parties could trash talk about each other and play the which guy is the worst game.


Here's what got me started on this rant; the CBC published a story today about the CPC's new website promoting their image with regards to the gun registry. It's not the promotion of their perspective that I'm taking issue with. It's their bad mouthing of other parties.

 "Now that the Conservatives have a majority, the NDP and Liberals can't play political games to keep the useless registry any longer."

This idea suggests that the participation of other parties besides the Conservatives within the House is counterproductive to the administrative activities of our government. I'm sorry but that's a load. I would feel uncomfortable with any party making such a ridiculous statement.

I guess my point is that playing politics (and this is something all current federal parties have been perceived as doing) and talking over each other doesn't really give off the impression of a healthy democracy. Nor do I think it sets a great example.

If we value concepts of respect for diverse opinions and perspectives, part of it should start with our leaders. And it starts with LETTING EACH OTHER FINISH and using intelligent arguments instead of trash talk. 

 I just wanted to put my two cents in. Because this is a democracy, and multiple opinions should be allowed. 

If you would like to check this out for yourself and draw your own conclusions, here is the link to that article :) CBC politics

No comments:

Post a Comment